Potential Goalie Contract Buyouts
June 15-20 is the NHL's buyout period. The new NHL salary cap era is proving to be a "perform or move on" situation. Still owners are signing crazy contracts.
- Ray Emery tops the list with his expensive $6.75 million contract and distracting behaviour
- Toronto's Andrew Raycroft is an expensive backup goalie at $2.2 million. The only benefit to Raycroft is he actually has a winning record in Toronto, which is more than some of the other potential buyouts
- Back in March there was talk of Dan Cloutier parting ways with the LA Kings. Is seems inevitable considering the $3.1 million dollars left on his contract and the fact that Jason Labarbera showed he can be #1
- Dwayne Roloson, who was supplanted by Mathieu Garon, is entitled to $3 million in the upcoming season. His losing record since signing the $11 million dollar deal doesn't look good. He did perform well nearing the end of the season with Garon injured
- The Bolts waived Marc Denis last season, however there were no takers. They'll likely buy out the remaining $2.87 million of his contract
Goalies having their contract bought out become unrestricted free agents for the NHL's free-agency period starting July 1st.